Thursday, October 4, 2012

Am I Blue?

  Homosexuality is a natural choice for a human to make. Being able to be open about it should be as widely accepted as it is when someone is attracted to the opposite sex. However, there are people who believe that its completely wrong and persecute those who have the right to be homosexual. The story, "Am I Blue?" by Bruce Coville gives us somewhat of an insight into the life of those who have been mistreated and bullied for their sexual orientation. Also, it sends a message of tolerance, saying that if we can't change the way we perceive people who are really just like us, then the problems they face will only get worse. Bruce Coville relays this message in an interesting manner though, using the mentor of the story, Melvin, as his messenger.
  Reading the story directly will tell the tale of a sixteen year old boy named Vince who faces problems with peers who think he is homosexual when really he is not sure quite yet. Melvin, a fairy-godfather from heaven, finds Vince and explains to him why people harass homosexuals and guides Vince through his problems. In Melvin's dialogue, i found interesting points that also apply to our world. In fact, I thought it was Bruce Coville communicating with us the struggles of being bothered and persecuted as a homosexual.For example, when Vince accuses Melvin of mocking him after finding him pushed into a puddle of mud (this being the first time they met), Melvin says "Listen, honey, I have nothing but sympathy for you. I had to deal with my share of troglodytes when I was your age, and I know its not fun. I'm here to help." Melvin, obviously being homosexual in his past life, can be considered a witness to what happens to many other openly gay people today. To be honest, at first I saw this as useless back story. Reviewing the line a few times though, I saw this as one of Coville's insights on the affects of people's negative actions toward homosexuals.
  Another moment of when I felt Bruce Coville was talking to us through Melvin was when they're in the coffee shop and Vince is curious as to why he hadn't known there were so many homosexuals around him. Melvin explains that they are probably hiding it so they don't get treated poorly and have to face obstacles of intolerable people. Although I had some sort of familiarity with that fact, thinking about how people are actually afraid to be open about their sexual preferences was kind of sad. That's probably why i figured that the reason Bruce Coville was telling us all these harsh yet true facts was to get us to be more sensitive  of our actions toward  homosexuals and those that are but may not be open about it.
  Bruce Coville's "Am I Blue," is not just meant to be an entertaining story to delights those who are just looking for a good read. Its purpose is much greater and it contains a peaceful message of tolerance for homosexual who have been harassed for the longest time. "Am I Blue," tells us things we may have not known already about how hard living with the secret of being gay is. Hopefully, after reading this, people will further understand how important this issue is.

1 comment: