This book, in itself is very confusing. Mostly being that its filled with such specific facts that are accurate down to what each of Lincoln's rivals wore on a regular basis. However, when I started to recognize the level of vocabulary and catch up to speed with where I was at by slowing my pace and retreading some pages, I managed I understand the overall purpose of the book. Although its Hirt self explanatory on the front cover, if you're not an experienced reader it'd be hard to understand that the book, at least from what I read so far, is a biography of Lincoln and his rivals during the time prior of the Republican National Convention and the nomination for Republican candidacy.
Doris Kearns Goodwin goes in extremely deep with her attention to historical, emotional, and even physical aspects of these men. In a time of imminent Civil War, there are 5 capable and potential men who could've lead our country through a time of war: Abraham Lincoln, Edward Bates, William H. Seward, and Salmon P. Chase. These men, although presented to have almost identical ideals (being of the Republican and Radical Republican parties), have very different lives, upbringings, and experience. For example, Edaward Bates I believe, according to the book, has more political experience being a long time statesman from Missouri. In comparison, Seward, former governor of New York, and Chase, former Ohio governor, had only been in office for a term or two before. Lincoln had even less experience.
I honestly enjoy this book's attention to detail. To be more honest, I think it's the most detailed book I've ever read ever. It's incredibly accurate down to what each persons usual habits and most proud achievements were. I also took note of how large the book is itself, being longer than average textbooks being almost 1000 pages. I'm only on page 54. My dad got me this book for Christmas. Was I a bit mad? Yes, but only because it was so long. However, I cant complain anymore. This book is great.
No comments:
Post a Comment