Recently, I have started reading a biogrhy of former NBA star and legend Pete Maravich. The title "Pistol: The Life Of Pete Maravich," hints at the source of Maravich's success and fame up until his death in 1980. The book, although a biography, gives off a tone of education almost, even though most scholars would find the information uninteresting. However, for youths who play basketball, it seems to serve as an inspiration. Foremost, this is seen in the first three chapters or so as Kreigel describes the college career and the hard youth of Pete's father, Press Maravich. It accurately describes his life as a rags to riches and fame. From starting out as a small Serbian kid from the mills of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to being a high school and LSU college star, Press' story has to be considered more than just anecdote of Pete's early life.
I also see the inclusion of Press' story as a setup to start the explanation of Pete's life. This is because the story itself indicated directly that Press wanted Pete to be brought up in his personal image. As for that, Press succeeded as his son became a national basketball star for his prolific scoring in college and amazing pro career as an Atlanta Hawk, Boston Celtic, and New Orleans/Utah Jazz player. I believe that the story of Press' success affected how Pete turned out in it that Press wanted his son to feel the same happiness he did playing the game. I believe that this is really special because so many other people, young or old feel or felt the same way. To not see that the author may have soley wrote this book to inspire or fuel the mind of an aspiring youth is hard to do. I honestly believe that I enjoy this book for that very reason. It educates me on a small part of a large history of the great game that is basketball.
No comments:
Post a Comment