I have started a new book called "The Giver," by Lois Lowry. Even though I had read this book in the past in around fifth grade, I was able to establish newer ideas I had missed as a younger student. In addition, I've also been able to make valid connections from the world in the book and to our world.
The book is mainly centered so far around an 11-year old boy named Jonas. In contrast to our world, boys and girls his age are referred as "Elevens,". This is according to each child's age up until age 12, where they are considered matured and adult enough to start working and "contributing to the community,". In fact, there is a ceremony of "stepping up," in age each year. In this book, Jonas is anxious for his 12 ceremony since 12s always get their job assignments that they carry out up until they are "released," from the community.
I found this organization of a community like this extremely peculiar. To me it seemed almost too organized as it it were set by strict law by a strict legislature or one who would rule with an iron fist. In fact, it maybe be even safe to say that Jonas' community, simply named so, is somewhat of an organized socialist dystopia. This is considering the following: the story gives lots of example as to how Jonas' world is unmilitarized however it is socialist. The government or whoever set the rules in Jonas' community is obviously trying to bring the community as close as possible. However, there are several restrictions that make this more than just a community therapy session. For example, there is no freedom of being rude or excessively upset. Although its an accepted emotion, you can express it in any other way besides saying "I'm mad,". Furthermore, The Community can control your natural hormonal urges. As opposed to our world where people can produce their own offspring, there is an organized method of artificial birth and distribution of newborn children to "family units,". So not only would natural reproduction be impossible, the act of desire for recreational intercourse is forbidden. Much like George Orwell's "1984," people are geared toward chastity. However in The Community, people begin taking pills that eliminate sexual attraction in all forms at an early age up until they get old.
Wow John, this is really good. I really like how much you thought about the organization of the community. I read this book last year and thought that the community was strange, but I never thought this deeply about it. I really like when you say that it is more than a "community therapy session." That made me think about how, even you say that it is more than that, it actually kind of is. Amazing job, John.
ReplyDelete