This week, I continued my book, "Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich,". Previously, Kreigel told the upcomings of Pete's father, Press, as a high school and college coach. Furthermore, it shows more of Pete's life, especially how hard he worked as a youth to be the best high school basketball player he could, and eventually be became the best at the time. In fact, it's probably safe to say that it's emphasized greatly. For example, Kreigel could be talking about Press, then he'd mention how Pete would be at each practice that Press held with his teams. From there, Kreigel would go on long tangents about the many drills and routines Pete would do either alone or with his father, who encouraged him and sometimes pushed him to be a great player. After thinking about it, I had to conclude that maybe in fact that Kreigel meant to do this for a variety of reasons. These being that he wants to emphasize the hardship and difficulty of being great, he wants to teach the lesson of being responsible for your own personal goals, and that he's trying to quantify the actual amount of work and dedication needed to go pro, something many youths nowadays don't realize.
I would like to start on my last reason. Kids are immature, no matter however they present themselves. They believe they know everything, and sometimes I feel the same. Except the fact of the matter is that they don't. This, mixed with an misguided belief that they'll someday go pro could really influence their academics and social life. Some kids go as far as dropping out for, high school because they believe they're that good. Kreigel is trying to warn youths who read his book that its not easy and doesn't just happen by fate, it takes the full extent of ones body and mind. Moving along, I also believe Kreigel is trying to motivate those who are almost meeting their ultimate goal to push forward even more to fully achieve it. Some people in life come so close but then give up because they can't make the final push, so I especially like this theory. Lastly, Kreigel also wants to teach his readers that opportunity doesn't always come to them. They have to mostly make their own and take it when it there. This way, anyone one doing anything could be successful.
Wow. This is very interesting, John. I really like what you said about the difficulties of being great. I think that that is something that many people ignore and I loved how it seemed like you just mentioned it. It is just so true that it is very difficult to hold up such a high title. There is a lot of pressure on those people. It is very impressive that you picked up on that in the book. Ifeel like that must be such a hidden issue in your book and it is amazing that you could uncover it. Besides that, I love your writing style. It is very deep and serious but also has a humorous edge. Great job, John!
ReplyDelete